top of page
  • Writer's pictureCrowboroughHockey

Week Nineteen Match Summaries

Men's Ones:

Men's 1s guaranteed themselves at least 2nd place to finish and promotion back to Division 1 with a 6-1 win over local rivals Lewes. Crowborough stated well with Hamish Marr opening the scoring. Lewes responded equalising with a well worked short corner to make it 1-1. Crowborough rallied with Dan Lang deflecting in a perfectly placed cross from Chris Cowen to retake the lead and Hamish Marr slotted his second before the break to make it 3-1 at half time. The second half saw Crowborough maintain control with Lewes only managing a further two attempts on goal. Goals from Mike Lindley, Finn Alexander and Will Prime sealed the victory. Next week is away at Crawley where a win will guarantee a first place finish.

Men's Twos:

Despite another week of injuries and absences Borough started off strong with most of the possession. It didn't take long after about five short corners for Joe Joyce to slot one in the bottom corner. Borough kept the ball well for the rest of the first half. The second half had Mid Sussex come out stronger using their subs and had most of the ball. The 2s never gave up and defended well to secure a clean sheet and another crucial 3 points, meaning promotion is in their own hands going into the final two games of the season. Player of the match was Will Sermon for his boundless energy ad running.

Men's Threes:

M3s had the late shift down at Eastbourne. Our 11 players played with great team spirit and great passing through all areas that we use at training. Stand in GK Dan Sudworth did well saving many more shots on goal than what went in. Eastbourne were very regimented and experienced in what they do. Chris Harper (POTM) had a fantastic job with their two very skilled youngsters. Unfortunately, with an ankle injury due to the opposition striker Steven Valentine could not get that final touch to score from many of the chances given that day. Our defence Harry Mercer, Fraser Milne, Graham Clampin, with midfield's Stuart Smith, Torrin Bosse, Nick Bosse, Ollie Sanday and Tim Porter moved forwards very well but Eastbourne were just too quick on the turn. The game ended with a 6-0 defeat however, the score does not represent how much effort and energy went into this game from M3s.

Ladies Ones:

Crowborough 1s held title chasers Mid Sussex to a well fought draw. Crowborough started energetically keeping the ball pinned in the Mid Sussex half for much of the first half. Moving the ball from defence with some excellent attacking moves, the first goal for Borough was converted shortly before half time. Mid Sussex came out fighting in the second half, pulling two goals back. Crowborough persevered and Baxter slotted home a late equaliser.

Ladies Twos:

L2s played at home at 1.30pm against Burgess Hill. Striving to achieve their third place in their league, the Ladies played their absolute hardest. The new formation was put into action once again which allowed ample attacking opportunities for the Crows. Passing between players was impeccable at times and communication was amazing between the midfielders and the forward players. Both goals were scored in the first half by the amazing Sophie Holcombe. By half time, the Twos were buzzing and continued to impress in the second half. The game became much more defensive, Burgess Hill desperately trying to gain back a goal but to no avail. The last 5 minutes were a struggle with the Two’s main centre back leaving early, causing chaos within the defensive unit but it did not affect the score at all. Everyone played well and the push for the third place continues into the last week of the season where L2s plays Lewes away. The game ended in a 2-0 win with Josie Mitchell being awarded player of the match for her undying determination and constant positive communication on the pitch.

Ladies Threes:

L3s played away to Burgess Hill with a 16.30pm pushback. Delays at the venue led too a later pushback in the very bright sunshine. l3s had a compact team of 11 players. The match was relentless with Sarah Mercer, Lottie Ikeson and jess Ikeson working flat out in defence. Cath Rawlings' skills were called upon again and again as the opposition pounded the defensive wall. At half time the score was 1-0. An exhausted Borough battled on with Megan Shaw's skills being heavily relied on to sweep, and Amber Valentine's athleticism was outstanding up front. The teamwork on the pitch was fantastic -Sarah Mercer playing on despite an injury - but the final score was 2-0 defeat. Player Of the Match went to Lottie Ikeson for immense clearing throughout the battle.

55 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page